Monday, January 5, 2015

The Monkey Menace

Thanks for your positive feedback, friends! Not a whole lot happened today, mainly because my day was cut short when I toddled off to bed late afternoon to "rest my eyes". The lies I tell myself! Vera and Teja joined me. So now I'm hanging out at 2am again. Raja' s parents and grandma seem to go to bed around 11:00 (I wouldn't know for sure at this point) and then they get up in the dead of night at 5:00 and get right to work. They make preparations for the day, bathe and do their poojas, like putting flowers and food before their shrine, lighting incense and saying prayers. The less-religious probably enjoy those extra couple hours of sleep. ;)
I was at the sink outside the bathroom which is connected to the wall that goes around the property and Raja was at the doorway to the kitchen, just a few feet beside me when he goes "Monkeys are coming! They're fighting! " I tried to run into the door beside him but it felt like I had Fred Flintstone feet starting his car. The monkeys kept a'comin' along the top if the wall while I tried to catch my breath. Then we went to make sure all the kids were inside. Monkeys are evil pests here. Ugly as sin with their red faces and butts. The baby ones are cute but that's a trick. Just like human babies are cute but legend has it that they eventually turn into teenagers. Barf. There's a few troops of monkeys in this neighbourhood. The kids and I make sure to avoid them on our walks around the block. They have been just hanging out, eating garbage. The kids have begun to appreciate all the pretty flora here- palm
trees and trees covered in bright flowers.
And then Maya asked "But why are there piles of garbage underneath them?" I struggle with a lot of their questions here. Because the answer is usually, "Because that's just the way it is here". Anyway, we banged sticks as a family (fun memories!) and the neighbour across the street threatened the monkeys with a sling shot- never actually shooting to make the troop move on so the kids could play outside again. But monkeys know when you're bluffing so they took their sweet ass time. But man those babies were cute!  See, I never learn! I didn't think to photograph these goings-on but I'll try and get on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment