Sunday, January 4, 2015

4 years later!

Okay, so I dug up my old blog from our last trip to India and read through it right before leaving Canada. As I laughed at my own jokes and read them out loud to Raja (who laughed significantly less) I marvelled at how much I'd forgotten. I was also surprised by how much the kids have grown. How did we ever make this trip the first time when Ammon was 4, Maya 22 months and Teja 7 months? It's all a blur because I didn't try blogging then, plus people tend to block out nightmarish experiences to save their sanity. Reading through this old blog was a pain because you have to start at the end to read it in chronological order, not like one of those screens made of papers- books I think they're called.
I'm also surprised by how much I've changed as a person since then. It's so cute how I was trying to pretend to be a good person! But I'm over that now and determined to let my inner jerk shine through! So I'll try my best to overthrow the patriarchy while I'm here. In my spare time. Wish me luck!
So the trip over here took 48 torturous hours. Yes, much easier without a baby (ies) but still so, so hard. Some of us were ill with various maladies, causing misery and woe. My allergies went bananas for the first flight- the 12 hour one. It was like my fellow passengers were secretly cats and the plane was actually made of dust and grass pollens. I was no help to Raja as he dealt with crying Vera and Maya because they wanted to lay down so bad. I was sitting with Ammon and Teja and they just curled up and slept. Maybe they are the cats. Teja and Maya have colds. Teja especially suffered during the descent with her ears, despite me giving her gum, candies,  halls and hugs. Brutal. I could go on for days about the trip that lasted two days.
I cursed Raja excessively but forgave him once I ate his mom's and grandma's cooking this morning. Suddenly, all was right with the world!
The bestest news ever is that the swarms of mosquitoes we knew too well from our previous trips are mostly gone! Yay! That's especially good since Maya seems to be allergic to the bug spray we brought by the gallon. Seriously, what a relief. And another relief is not having to have hawkeyes on the kids since they're older- trying to protect them from getting bit, falling on the stone floors, putting a big ant in their mouth (Vera) or drinking the tap water which causes vomiting and di-di (Teja). I'm free!!!
 I felt especially free when I got up this morning and got busy unpacking. Those suitcases are beasts, but I am more so, so no problems all the times I lifted and carried them, spun them around on one finger humming the circus song. But I go to push one under the bed this morning and POP goes the weasel! The weasel is my back. And it's also a bastard. I gave everyone a scare and now I'm all painy, less mobile and making the kids pick stuff off the floor for me. Let's see how long I can milk it this time!
Well, it's 2 am here and everyone else is asleep. Caffeinated crystal light will be my drug of choice tomorrow. All the best to you my dear mom, siblings, cousins and some Facebook friends who don't mind reading my ramblings. And enjoy the snow, suckers!

No comments:

Post a Comment