Tuesday, January 6, 2015

I stayed awake until 7:30pm! Look who's all grown up!

Ahh, fitness. My fickle mistress. Through thick and never thin, I am a lady who loves to exercise. Preferably group fitness. I'm missing my beloved YMCA classes this month but I told my instructors to add me to their attendance numbers as I'll be there in spirit. When I don't keep it up, my back gets rickety, like it just did. But it was feeling a bit better so I knew I was ready for a bit of impact. I brought my skipping rope with weighted handles. Jumping rope is great cardio for moms who haven't peed their pants in a while and miss the sensation. So are jumpeeing jacks. I didn't have room to bring my yoga mat so I had to do my floor work on a towel like a hobo. Yoga was invented here-they should be handing mats out at the airport to all arrivals! Under the cover of darkness and cool of early morning, I got my workout done in front of the house. The Muslim priest was singing the call to prayer over loud speakers in the distance. I must have sweat my mosquito repellant off because I started getting bit during my stretching. I swung my ponytail around to shoo the bugs away so I could finish up. I learned that move from the horses at the animal farm.

We walked the short distance into town to buy Teja some sandals because she is dissatisfied with the two pairs I packed for her. Maya and Vera ended up getting two more pairs each but Teja only got one new pair. I have a theory that Teja is dissatisfied with all sandals and chose some inferior to her unattainable standards in desperation as she didn't want to go home empty-footed.
Going out in public is intense. Having all eyes on us constantly is so unnerving. Men on motorcycles do this cute thing where they ever-so-gently drive into each other, mouths agape, eyes affixed to the most foreign-looking of the family. T'would be I. They're just not used to seeing the likes of me so I shouldn't get irritated but I straight up wanted to flip the bird at this one creeper outside the shoe shop. I'm looking at you, plaid shirt! But I'm just too damn classy, y'know. Every auto rickshaw driver wanted to pick us up or just stop and stare. I don't know if it's because of the adventure of transporting foreigners or if they think they'll get more money- which they wouldn't. Raja likes to keep his money. He gave some to Maya to give to a very old beggar, though, that ol' softy.
The shoe shop lady pinched Vera's cheeks until she almost cried and then she whispered to me that the lady hurt her. That's how people express their appreciation of small, cute children here. By physically assaulting them. Raja said he wouldn't let her do it again.

I missed the perfect photo opp of monkeys sitting on motorcycles today. They were even digging around in the satchels. I was just zooming in when two motorcyclists were coming through and I had to get out of the way and then the monkeys climbed off.













No comments:

Post a Comment