Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Happy Sankranthi/Thursday!

We got up at 5:00 this morning to go out for the bonfire. We hung out for a bit and then, having seen plenty of bonfires previously, decided to head back to bed. But it was so smokey in the house, Teja and I ended up with headaches. We're both crybabies sensitive like that. This holiday was not shaping up to be the fun-filled event we'd been promised in the brochure! Raja's Mom and Grandma made a special meal but, then again, they all seem special to me. Thanks, ladies!

We decided to go get the girls new earrings. Teja has been stuck with a hoop in one ear and a stud in the other for months. Of course my three daughters can't wear cheap earrings without getting infected earlobes. Of course they always lose their gold earrings. Indian earrings screw together so they're less likely to fall out and get lost but the posts on these suckers are so thick, I wasn't sure it'd be worth the trade off.
Our neighbours were kind enough to host the bonfire. Goodbye old junk, I hardly knew thee!

At the jewelry store. This sales lady tried pushing more expensive items on us until we were about ready to leave, then she gets the stuff we had been asking for all along. I didn't appreciate this tactic. 

We had to leave our shoes outside just like we do before entering a house. I see people with no shoes outside walking on the hot pavement all the time. I know what I would do! The newspapers would call it they great shoe napping spree of 2015.

Each girl got a pair of stud earrings except for the mom-girl. I wear white gold which they've never heard of here. They think my wedding rings are made of silver, like a peasant or something! 

There was a parade outside the store as we left. It was probably about something boring religious.

The man in the pink shirt appears to have albinism. I wonder if everyone stares at him like they do at me. :(

My parade view is momentarily blocked by this shipment of. ..... I'm going to say..fur. 

I didn't think it could get any louder what with the horns honking constantly but they sure proved me wrong. My eardrums hurt and my tympanic membranes hurt too.

Go team orange! 

I'll finish up this post with this video which I hope plays properly because it is a work of cinematic genius!*


*lying



No comments:

Post a Comment