Thursday, January 15, 2015

Halfsies


My phone is acting up/ruining my life today. The IT department is working on it, but in the mean time, my brilliant smartphone photography skills are being wasted and my budding tetris career is completely on hold. I was only able to post a picture of myself (typical!) in the dress I wore for the festival today. It's from the clearance rack at Old Navy but it was a tube-top so I took it in and put some straps and a jaunty little scarf on it. It looks a lot like a bed sheet but I like to think it's of a higher thread count. Only the best for India's favourite festival! That I have no sentimental attachment to! The gist of today's celebration seems to be that we drop in on relatives at their homes, unannounced, and have a conversation which is mostly centred around us politely and repeatedly declining their offers of various food and drinks. Raja tells them a few things about our life in Canada in Telugu, which Vera calls "Indian". It's only cute because she's 4. She also called English "Sarnia language" today and got very embarrassed when her siblings corrected her in exasperated tones.

Now that the big day is over, I'm ready to pack on up and head on home! Yeah! Let's go! What's that, you say? The month is only half over? Shudder. It's the mosquitoes' fault. They're getting worse here. And even though we are slathered in 40% deet, and reapplying it repeatedly throughout the day, they are eating us alive. The bathroom floors are always wet in India (another aspect of our trip that's gotten real old, real quick) so if we forget to spray our feet again after exiting the loo, the mosquitoes feast! The fattest mosquito I've ever seen could not even stay airborne as it sluggishly tried to fly away from my person, having gluttonously drained my lifeblood. That little bugger. It's infuriating!We're so itchy. The little two-toned ants bite us too. Would everything just please stop biting us already? Yes, the list of things I'm "so over" is lengthening. I would hate to hurt my hosts' feelings. They are working so hard to keep us fed, clothed, comfortable. I'm a spoiled brat is what it all boils down to.
Never fear, faithful reader(s), once my precious phone is up and running again, I'll go back to posting all kinds of blurry, poorly lit photos for you to skim over browse while on the can view in all their majestic glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment