Tuesday, January 13, 2015

A trip down memory lane but only after a trip down a literal lane that stinks and has a lot of crazy traffic

Imagine being stuck in traffic behind this beast. 

They are transporting hay from the country to the city for the city slicker buffalos. 

We were walking to the store to buy some essentials. Like chocolate. 

We finally rode in one of those autos today. The kids and I sat in the back seat and Raja squeezed in beside the driver. They were chatting and laughing in no time. Raja later told me that the guy just couldn't wrap his head around the way Raja could speak the street lingo here and then switch to English with us. He was talking jive and that man giggled like a school girl, wee wee wee the whole way home. 

Earlier in our walk, an auto that already had four people in it stopped to pick us up. A family of six. Wth, man?! Picking up multiple fares at once is the norm here but that doesn't make it a clown car and that is another thing that my homie doesn't play. No extra fares, just us. Raja bosses everyone around here and they all listen. 

Raja's dad bought a new scooter on the weekend. Note it is not glitter-infused purple or hot pink with florals. 
I saw a family riding their scooter like this yesterday and the little boy at the front had albinism (!). I hope his parents have the means to protect him from the sun. I don't imagine his life being very easy living in this extremely sunny place. 

Vera and her bff/cousin Kavya

When Vera gets into a silly mood, she gets this wild-eyed, frantic look about her and her goofiness and mischief know no bounds. Kavya got to experience this one on one for the past few days. Sorry K!

Raja's cousin Rani, about to head home to the city with the famous temple Chris Rock visited in his movie "Good Hair". If memory serves me correctly, that temple traumatized me last time we were here but we had a great time at her house! 

Kavya convined Vera to only call Mrudula "bad girl". Sorry M!

Govitata and Vaibhavi going for a spin. Clearly, helmets are as popular as seat belts here. I'm going to get an ulcer. 

Vera and Vaibhavi enjoying some tablet time. 

Uncle Raja (Rajumamaya) has been characterized as the equivalent of the boogeyman by her parents and grandparents here. Ie: 'You'd better do what I say or else Uncle Raja is going to come spank you.' This is not a practice I condone. 

She's starting to warm up to this terrifying monster who's been menacing her from afar for the entirety of her young life. 

Raja' s mom and grandma spend their whole days catering to us jerks and it makes me feel like the worst daughter-in-law ever. Sometimes it's like I'm just lounging about, waiting for my next meal to be placed in front of me. I like to go on outings to break up the day a bit but while I'm out I'm in a big hurry to get back here. The kids bombard me with their questions like, why are there so many people here and why does it smell so bad. Dudes, I don't know! Just accept it like I have. I try and be patient but I started to lose it a bit last night when my three daughters were flailing around next to me in their sleep, thrashing their blankets off then scrambling to right them. I don't do well when my sleep is interrupted (understatement). I started thinking how a prison cot would've been more comfortable. (Melodrama intensifies in my sleepless state) Then I just wanted to go home! Just open the wardrobe and walk on through to my own bedroom. How 'bout it science?!
So, I helped myself become more mentally grounded today by listening to music. Familiar music helps with the surreal feeling from being in such a different place for what I deem a long period of time. Try it, you'll like it!

Hey, apropos of absolutely nothing, do you know who draped my sari for me on my wedding day? You'll never guess unless you're Amber because she was there rooting for me and giving me princess hair. It was Mrs. Joshi, our high school teacher! I tormented that sweet woman in her English class, with constant disruptions and calling her out on any and every mistake she made. I was such a bugger to her and then when I up and decide to marry this dreamboat of an Indian man with no local family members a mere 7 years later, who steps up for me, with her heart of gold and comes and dresses me for my wedding? I remember her putting my bindi on for me too. Without her help, I would have wrapped that sari like a toga and looked hideous. Likewise without Amber doing my hair, the toga would have been topped off with a messy ponytail. Thanks ladies!

Tomorrow is a festival where we wear new clothes and burn junk in bonfires. Sounds like good times! 

No comments:

Post a Comment