Monday, January 19, 2015

Blattella asahinai

Between my phone being a goner, and being on the road to meet for a family function, blogging has been a no-go. Then, this morning, I woke up with a big kink in my back. Not my ole' rickety lower back acting up like it did at the beginning of our trip, but a different pain that my stretching and tennis ball massage seemed to worsen. I believe my official diagnosis is lack of vitamin MF (memory foam). My bff/truest love/favourite food ibuprofen didn't cure it either. My father-in-law gave me ayurvedic medicine and down the hatch it went. Why not, eh? My mother-in-law called our wonderful neighbour to find out if she knows any massage therapists and she, herself, said she has experience and came over to massage my sore back. I had a professional back massage only once before, so I don't have a lot to go on, but I think she did a great job! Quick, Raja, how do you say a really big 'thank you' in Telugu? Raja has very kindly been my man-servant today. I've kept a busy schedule of lounging around, scratching my mosquito bites with my old-timey Goody brand hairbrush which I believe has been discontinued. (It was the only brush my sisters and I would let my mom use on us and now it's the only brush my girls let me use on them!) I don't care if that is gross. I have a mosquito bite on my achilles, people!

My niece, grandma-in-law and sister-in-law left for the big city of Hyderabad yesterday so there are only 8 of us in the house now. I want to be able to pick up the slack instead of being a crybaby about my owie. Get over yourself, Renee! We miss them already. I can't imagine what it's going to be like to say good-bye in two weeks. 'See you in several years!' doesn't exactly have a comforting ring to it. The kids were bored stuck in the house today so Raja took them across the street to the big house to play for a bit. It's a reeeeally nice house. We visited a family friend the other day that had real lazy-boy style couches and Ammon and I agreed it was the comfiest we'd been since we got here. I also couldn't keep my mitts off that lady's curtains; it was becoming awkward. I was causing a scene. I couldn't help myself, the fabric was gorgeous!

While we were in the city of Vijayawada, we saw a Subway restaurant and had our driver back that bus on up. (We had the same driver 4 years ago and he's gone quite a bit more grey- so glad I haven't aged a day) Raja translated for me at the "non-veg counter" and the kids and I enjoyed the worst subs we've ever had on our drive home. Yay! As a hypochondriac, I felt certain the lettuce tasted like listeria. Raja was full from the super spicy dish he ate at the function, on a plate made of lotus leaves no less. This part of India has the hottest cuisine in the world. Indians from outside of this district complain the food is too spicy here. And yours truly has been chowing down like a champ! They eat a lot of deep fried bread-y items which I try to abstain from, but I can't get enough of my mother-in-law's vegetable curries, chutneys and pickles. Raja tries to copy her recipes at home but he can't get the right ingredients so I'm always living in a strong-smelling home but rarely partaking of his stinkbomb aromatic foods. And whatever I cook, he dumps a pile of stinky chili powder on! It's not easy being a desi-wife sometimes, I tell ya.
Vera is an air-atarian so feeding her has been especially difficult. She was only a few pounds away from hitting the 40 lbs mark, but I'm betting this trip has set her back. She mostly eats the stuff we brought- pasta and sauce, buttermilk pancakes from a mix, microwave popcorn, chocolate and also, Nanamma makes delicious french fries because potatoes, oil and salt are a language that is universal, just like love.
All this food-talk may have made you hungry but I'm not one to derail your New Year's resolutions, so as a courtesy, I'm providing an appetite suppressant in the form of this home video. You see, Raja made a little friend on his way to the shower (forgive his towel ensemble) and I just want to share with my friends back home. Because I'm a giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment