Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Counting down the days till my favourite cheese laden meal. In other news, I have a baby.

Holy crap, is it ever easier to pack to leave than it was to pack to come here. We are leaving this city on Friday to stay our last few days in the state capitol, Hyderabad, where the airport is. I've got big plans for that city and they start with eating a large pizza all on my own in a single sitting and encouraging my children to do the same. Next comes shopping, Ammon and Raja getting haircuts since they only cost a dollar here, shopping some more and I might get mehendi done on myself if we can find a reputable artist. To top it all off, more pizza.

But here's the frowny-face part of the deal: leaving family,  friends and wonderful neighbours behind. I would trade in my pizza if it meant that I could keep them. There are some really terrific people here and heaven only knows when we will see them again.  My kids' grandparents have to watch them grow up through photographs. And we'll do the same for our newborn niece. The suckitude of this arrangement is immense. My advice to any single people out there is to marry someone whose family doesn't live a bajillion miles away, unless of course they are nuts, then you'll being doing yourself a favour because insane in-laws down the street would be just as bad. My in-laws are fab, though, in case that wasn't clear.

Let's talk more about my baby, Vera. She spent the first half of this trip "making strange". She would scream like a banshee any time a non-parental-unit held her. This made everyone sad. Because who doesn't want to snuggle an adorable baby who is their relative? And I find that people here are, without exception, absolutely enthralled with babies and small children. Methinks this might have contributed to the population being what it is.  Raja and I were very worn out and frustrated during those first two weeks. Now, she's settled right in and won her way into the hearts of the multitudes of people who have held her. She's back to her active and jolly self again. Just in time to leave. Good one, Vera.

Vera practicing crawling.

Vera having a snack.

Vera under a flowering tree at the park in Tirupati.

This is not Vera, it's her little friend from down the street. Just checking if you were paying attention.

Babies and puppies. What could be cuter? A baby riding a puppy, that's what. I wish I'd thought of that when I took this picture!

Good Night!



No comments:

Post a Comment